11/01/2019

What is your "thorn?"

 "... there was given to me a thorn in the flesh... For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.  And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, (Why?) that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses (Why?) for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."  (II Cor 12.7-10)
This believer's particular affliction isn't as bad as some, yet bothersome nonetheless.  My specific trial has been mine to endure for nearly forty years.  Worse at times than at others.  In II Corinthians 12.5, the apostle tells us, "yet of myself I will not glory, but in mine infirmities."  Bearing in mind that not all "infirmities" are physical, permit me to continue.
Current devotion is in the book of James 4.2-10, giving us the following instruction(s);
"...ye have not, because ye ask not. Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts. ...know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God. Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy?
But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble. Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded. Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness.
The conclusion of the matter:
10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up."

We are instructed to make our "requests known to God..." in Phillipians 4.6. But there is a way to ask for our desires.  Then, according to His will, He answers.  Always remember, "No, IS an answer!"  If I have asked "humbly," the Lord, knowing the motive of my heart in that request, will lead me to trust His grace in accepting the answer.  
While awaiting an answer, it is reasonable to assume that Satan will attempt to get me into a snare that will cause me to be dissatisfied with the waiting or the answer thereby bringing reproach on the Lord's Name by my bad testimony.

My instruction is clear.  I am to "Humble (myself) in the sight of the Lord, and He shall lift (me) up."  Easier said than done it's true but it is a peaceable solution to my personal "thorn."

Grace, peace, laughter and joy while you endure and/or await the answer for YOUR "thorn."

In His Name, Ps 57.7

No comments:

Post a Comment