1/28/2021

Zeal for His will

 This morning, it would seem the theme of "Zeal," would go in another direction.  

There is another who is "zealous" to do and to act.  "O Lucifer, son of the morning! art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend...I will exalt...I will ascend...I will be like the most High." (Isa 14.13,14)

The first mention of "will" in scripture is when the Lord God said He would "make an help meet" for the first man on earth.  This was good.  The second mention of will was not good. The Lord God issued a decree to judge the one who caused the man and woman to sin against their Maker.  "I will put enmity between thee and the woman..." (Gen 2.18, 3.15)  Even though the next mention of His "will" is all destruction, be reminded that the promise of a Saviour is given in Gen 3.15.  

The Lord Jesus plainly spoke of why He came;  "Father...not My will but Thine be done." (Lk 22.42)

Because our nature is to do the opposite of everything right and true, we must look to the scripture to follow His will.  Some things are His will without question; "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God, Honor thy father and thy mother, don't steal, covet...." (Exo 20).  But what about the nuances of life?  Should I work on Sunday? Should I let my child go to this new friends house? Should I answer this lunatic's questions about what I believe?

Jeremiah reminded us that the Lord knows us very intimately and has an "expected end" for us.  (Jer 29.11) We also know that it is His will to "give thanks" for ever thing, good or bad. (I Thes 5.18) But what about all that is in between?

It is the "zealous" belief of this blogger that when one "conforms" to all that is according to scripture (Rom 12.2) and "delights" in "the Lord," (Ps 37.4), His will is mostly made known.  With all the rest we must be patient and wait on the nudging of the Holy Spirit towards one thing or another.

When one cannot know the will of God, it has been the experience of this believer that there are two choices; First, if permitted, wait! Second, if a decision must be made, then choose the one closest to scripture, according to the Spirit's leading.  The Lord knows your heart on every given matter.  Trust Him.

Be "zealous" to do His will and peace will be your reward.


No comments:

Post a Comment