1/31/2017

Leviticus - High Priest

So, this guy is the High Priest.  In our study "Making Much of Jesus," how are we to see Jesus in this man?  Well, look in (Heb 2.17) "Wherefore in all things it behooved Him to be made like unto His brethren, that He might be a merciful and faithful 'High Priest," in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people."  Then in (Heb 2.14); "Seeing then that we have a 'great High Priest,' that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession."
Given these two verses, there is no doubt who our "High Priest" is.
Next question, What did the High Priest do? What were his duties to discharge?

Turning to the OT, (Lev 1.5-9), one would note that it was his job to "kill the bullock before the Lord;...and bring the blood and sprinkle it" all around the altar.
He was also to "cut it into pieces," and lay the wood and the animal parts "in order" on the altar.
That's right, "MORE BLOOD!"  Forever, blood and sacrifice.  I asked the students why more blood was necessary.  Then I told them to think about what would happen if there was no blood in one's body.  Obviously, one could not live.  To put a fine point on it, "Life is in the blood."
Then we looked at five type of sacrifices and their purpose;
  • Meat-offering (Lev 2.1) - "Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of Him that sen me, and to finish His work me, and to finish His work." (Jn 4.34) 
  • Peace-offering (Lev 3.1) Why would one offer peace before the Lord?  Well, can one live peaceably all the time? "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you." (Jn 14.27) When one thinks like He does, one will be at peace.
  • Sin-offering (Lev 4.3) - Can one live sinless all the time? "My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: (I Jn 1.2) 
  • Trespass-offering -  (Lev 5.15) "Who was before a blesphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief ." (I Tim 1.13). Forgiven because of ignorance.  
  • Burnt-offering (6.9-13) Aren't they all burnt offerings? Yes, but this is a fire that never goes out. Why? "Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire: and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is."  (I Cor 3.13)
The High Priest was a very busy man.  Why were all these offerings necessary? Sin and wrong motives. "If therefore, perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law) what further need was there that another priest should rise...:" (Heb 7.11)
"And walk in live, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given Himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savor." (Eph 5.2)

No comments:

Post a Comment